Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Roots

I am still trying to process this last weekend. As an event I felt it went well! It was encouraging to hear the conversations that were happening around the corps building as a result of the meetings. The attendance was high. The Territorial cabinet was there. Salvationist from other Territories were there. It was cool.

But I think the coolest part for me was when God showed up for me personally. It was the last song of the event. Graham Kendrick was the guest worship leader for the weekend. He wrote "Shine Jesus Shine." Well I used to really get into that song but that was about ten years ago. That's how I knew I was having a God moment. The Spirit was breaking through to me. The words were new once again!

All weekend we had begun every meeting by lighting candles in the outline of a cross. We were told that the early Christians had just such a tradition and that it represented Christ's living presence with us in the room. It was in this context in a dimly lit room that I heard these words...

Lord, the light of your love is shining
In the midst of the darkness, shining
Jesus, Light of the world, shine upon us
Set us free by the truth you now bring us
Shine on me, shine on me

Shine, Jesus, shine
Fill this land with the Father's glory
Blaze, Spirit, blaze
Set our hearts on fire
Flow, river, flow
Flood the nations with grace and mercy
Send forth your word
Lord, and let there be light

Lord, I come to your awesome presence
From the shadows into your radiance
By the blood I may enter your brightness
Search me, try me, consume all my darkness
Shine on me, shine on me

As we gaze on your kingly brightness
So our faces display your likeness
Ever changing from glory to glory
Mirrored here may our lives tell your story
Shine on me, shine on me

Graham Kendrick
Copyright © 1987 Make Way Music,

1 comment:

BrownEyedGirl said...

It has been great hearing about Roots through the blog community. I also got to hear a bit from Mhairi. How awesome is our God!