Monday, March 13, 2006

Flying Kites at Night

I was pretty blessed by One Time blind this past weekend. They were great on the stage and all but I was actually blessed by something different.

We were at youth councils on the beach in Jekyll Island Georgia. Saturday morning at 7:30 am there was a polar bear swim in the ocean. I am on the staff that put on the weekend but I was not interested in waking up that early or in going in the freezing cold water. Reluctantly I went down to the water, anyway. One Time Blind was a guest drama group that we had hired to come to the weekend. The two girls from the group got up and came out to the polar bear swim.

I was shocked to see them. They were an outside group and many times the outside groups only show up to the meetings which they are on the schedule. But here were these girls making me look silly for having wanted to stay in the hotel room.

Not only that but later that night they also came to the young adult pizza party and had what I considered to be some of the worst pizza I have ever tasted. One of their members couldn't even eat pizza and they had the option to go into town but they wanted to be with us.

Following the young adult party they wanted to go fly kites on the beach. Now mind you it was like 1:30 in the morning. But their merch table had glow sticks on it and they had decided that they wanted to see what would happen if they attach their glow sticks to the kites and fly them at night. As we walked down toward the beach we noticed that the wind wasn't really blowing.

The kites that we had were worth about a dollar and broke as we ran down the beach dragging them through the sand because there wasn't enough wind to get the kites in the air. Failure? Maybe not.

I was so thankful for the spontaneous, craziness of the moment. I was thankful to stand on the beach and look out over the wet sand to the place where the water had receded to as a result of low tide. I was thankful to see the sky stretch on for miles over the ocean.

I was thankful because somewhere along the way a small bit of the passion has slipped. It used to be that the kite flying would have been my idea and I would have went swimming just for fun. Life had lost a touch of luster. And the group reminded me to keep having fun.

6 comments:

Laura said...

So the bike ride wasn't the highlight of the weekend?

Let it ride... :)

Jason said...

Actually the 4 person bike was a highlight for me. Thanks to you, Bernie and Kell for humouring me and going on the expedition!

Emma Jayne said...

Wow - thanks for bringing back some memories of Jekyll Island in the early 90s. What a beautiful and fun place.... I miss it. Sometimes it sucks to be a grown up!

Emma Jayne said...

Wow - Sharptop.... I have the BEST picture of you - Jason - kneeling at the cross at the top of the mountain surrounded by the misty rain.... good times.... we should do it again! If you give me your permission, I'll post it on my blog...

Jason said...

sure you can post it. I forgot about that picture.

Emma Jayne said...

Done! Thanks Jason.