Tuesday, May 30, 2006

This little piggy went to the mountain

As our time ended with the villagers, we were led further up the mountain. It was there that we saw the fate of the squealing pig we had heard earlier in the day. We were led into a house that had been built on stilts. The sides were planks of wood about 12 inches wide. There were small cracks between where the planks fit together. I imagined the temperature inside when it was winter time. The floor was made of a strip of weaved Bamboo that flexed and bounced like a trampoline as you walked on it. The roof looked like the roof of a hut from Gilligan's island. In the middle of the floor was a fire pit which was used for cooking and warming the hut. What a vulnerable place for fire. I wonder how many times the houses burn down?

As I went inside I found Duncan, Mr. Go, Puisi and Major Yoo all sitting around a pot of food. There was a stool at their table for me to sit at. We started out with some very cooked meat. It was cooked to a charcoal. The first thing I picked up was a rubbery, curly thing. Mr. Go and the rest of the table began laughing. In their minds this piece of meat might have been that "worst possible" part of a male pig to eat. One bite was enough for me. I slowly eased the rest of my piece back into the bowl. I suddenly or maybe not so suddenly sensed the urge to use the restroom. I asked the table where I should go? Duncan said to just go outside and go wherever I wanted.

I walked outside. There wasn't a grove of trees in sight. The area was wide open. Two guys came out of the back of the house. They were trying to figure out what I was doing. Not able to speak their language I was embarrassed to make hand motions. Dr. Smith came out and needed to go to the restroom as well. he motioned the guys that we needed to go. They took us to a little grove of trees where we were able to use the restroom in partial privacy.

Upon returning to the house I found that my bowl had a chicken foot in it. They had placed the foot so that it would grab the bowl from which it had come. Mr. Go was laughing hysterically. As I had already eaten chicken foot on this trip, I passed the foot over to Duncan.

Soon it was time to head back down the mountain. The villagers accompanied us down to the place where the four costumed girls had met us earlier in the day. From their we went on with just our group.

the rain picked up at this point. The hill became very muddy and we were sliding as we made our way down the hill. As the cows were living all over the hill there was cow dung in the middle of the path in many places. On the way up the path had been much drier allowing for more control. Plus, comind down a mountain is a bit like controlled falling. Therefore, my foot found the middle of the pile of manure. Major Yoo who was walking directly behing me thought this was hilarious. she said that I had to journal it. Thus, that's why your reading this.

I made it down the mountain about 100 yards ahead of the other guys on our team. I was traveling with a group of the locals. Getting down was quite an achievement. I immediately went to a fountain and washed my shoes. The altitudes and the climb had worn me out.

1 comment:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Major Yoo was right...it is funny. I like how it followed you sweeter than honey blog. I love those " I must be from a different planet" culture moments.