Thursday, December 22, 2005

My Grandfather

My Grandfather was a veteran of world war II. He was wounded twice. He had metal from the shrapnel that hit him that worked its way out of his eyes his entire life. He was a farmer. He owned over a couple hundred acres of farm land in Tennessee. He was up every morning before 5 am to study the Bible before starting his day. When he passed away they found thousands of dollars stored in some of his overalls in his closet because he didn't trust banks. He never talked on the phone. Most of his life was spent without indoor plumbing. He was a simple man. He had a twinkle in his eye whenever one of his grandchildren were mentioned. When did he pass away? 1997. Why am I writing about him now? Because I am sitting in my wife's grandmother's house. My wife's grandfather passed away this year and we are down here with their family for the first Christmas without him. Since its Christmas and all perhaps there is someone we can all thank God for whether they are still with us or with Him.

No comments: