Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Run Away to Join the Circus

I took my wife to Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey last night for V-day. It was great. As I was sitting there watching the clowns, the trapeze artists, the lion tamers and the ladies riding the elephants the circus master said,"raise your hand if you have ever wondered what it would be like to run away and join the circus." Then he pointed to everyone and said, "well...these people DID!"

Being and imaginative, literallist, ADD, Daydreamer I of course drifted off into my thoughts about what it would be like to run away and join the circus. These people were tremendous performers. My mind first went to the economic possibilities. Maybe this is a way into show business? But then I thought that is probably not it. And then I wondered about there salaries. Maybe they make really good money. I checked with my wife. I am sure she was startled when about ten minutes after the announcement had been made I blurted out of no where, "Do you think they get paid very well."

Her laugh brought me back to reality. Stupid question. She graciously responded, "I don't think so." I went back to my dreaming. So could it be the lure of the bright colors, the wonder of making people laugh and the joy of living in a community of people that are all set on one purpose? Could it be an alternate lifestyle than the one offered in the current culture? Could these people actually be searching for something that transcends the every day?

No that couldn't be it either! That would be more absurd than them making huge salaries. People in this world these days just don't think like that anymore, do they? I mean people think goals, money, success. I was shocked out of my norm and spent the rest of the time wondering what it would be like to be on the road with them.

3 comments:

Phil said...

hey. cool post. threw me for a loop and caught me off a guard (and a couple of other cliches, as well). i like the parallels you've drawn.

i think i'd like to be the guy that gets thrown out of the cannon

Emma Jayne said...

I think that a profession such as this is pursued only because it is something you truly love to do. What a joy to be in such a job! How many people can honestly say that they love their job regardless of necessary factors such as pay, benefits, etc. Awesome! (Great V-Day date too!)

Lesley said...

you and me. trapeze.