Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Trip to China Day One and Two

Well, I am back. I want to thank everyone who supported me through prayer or finances. So I am going to go back to the first day and try to chronicle my trip.

Wed. March 28th

Got all packed up...its funny how dog's can sense when I am getting ready to go on a long trip...




The whole night before I left to go on the trip I couldn't sleep. Here are some of the thoughts from my journal:

"I'm distracted. It has not been the best day. Big thoughts, Big worries about things here in the states have consumed most of my day. Here I am just a few hours before take off and I am focused on things weeks ahead. I am reminded of a previous mission trip I took where the Lord taught me to live in the moment I am in.

Sometimes it seems the enemy's plan is to get us thinking about the next important thing so much that we miss the ministry and magic of the moment. What might lie ahead for me? May I struggle to find my way from the Hong Kong airport to the place where I am staying at close to midnight by myself? Sounds like a bad episode of the amazing race. Will I be on the same page with the rest of the team? Will there be a spiritual application to the trip or just a physical one? Will I look into the eyes of a hurting kid in China and know that I have to do something? Will I be in touch closely enough with the heart of God to cry with Him?"

March 29th - 30th

The next day I got a plane for a long flight to Tokyo and then on to Hong Kong.





It was thirteen hours ahead in Hong Kong so I left Wednesday morning at 10:30 am and arrived Thursday night at 10:30 pm. But I actually spent around 24 hours of actual travel time including a four hour lay over in Tokyo.


The Salvation Army in Hong Kong has a beautiful hotel and command headquarters. I checked into the room and met my roomate Duncan Parker. Duncan is the Director for International Development for the United Kingdom. He greeted me by saying, "I hear I should call you J-Rock." I couldn't believe that my nickname had made it around the world:)




So as I lay in bed that night around midnight over there, 11 am back here in the states I felt excited about the days ahead and the place where the Lord had brought me.

1 comment:

Phil said...

dude. this is awesome. can't wait to hear more.