Monday, January 03, 2005

Lucy is cool

When I say Lucy is cool it is one of those things that I had to come to realize rather than one of those things that I knew instantly. Who is Lucy? She is a retired officer at my corps. I don't mean to sound disrespectful but when I think of retired officer I usually don't think cool. I usually think "those people who don't want me to worship in my heart language" or "those people who don't understand why I don't particulary love the uniform" ect.

That is what I thought of Lucy before I got to know her. Lucy is radical. She believes that if you pour your life into the life of someone else and give what God has given you to that other person then you will become God's tool in that person's life. I know that's not radical. The thing that's radical is that she actually does it. I have watched her over time start one on one relationships with some of the younger ladies in the corps and I have seen them change to become bold witnesses for Christ.

She does something that our generation is prophetically crying out to the generation that she belongs to. We say, "Its about relationships!" We go on our tirades talking about how the church has to many programs and isn't focused on what really matters. But we spend so much time complaining that we don't have the time for the relationships either.

We need to be radical, not just talk about it! Quite frankly I need to be more radical. I have tried to become more intentional about building witnessing relationships. I have a few that I feel are just that. But I make an appointment and go and have lunch with someone and it goes well but then there is a lull in the relationship before there is another chance to get back together. Since I only have about three relationships that I feel are witnessing relationships there are weeks that pass without any real witnessing opportunities. This has led me to believe that I need to build more witnessing relationships so that I am cultivating multiple relationships and living a constant radical life.

My New Year's resolution? I just made it while typing...By the end of this year I want to cultivate enough deep relationships with non-believers that I will have one quality witnessing conversation every day.


No comments: