Monday, November 21, 2005

Baptism

I have been thinking about a couple of reasons I have heard we don't do baptism. I have some questions:

I heard:

Our uniform is our baptism. Baptism is just a sign of our conversion. This is what our uniform does for us.

My question:

If we are to pick a sign should we not pick the one that best represents the action that has taken place? In that case I would pick water baptism over wearing the uniform because it represents dying with Christ (going down into the water) and rising again in the power of the Holy Spirit (coming up out of the water). When it is done, it is done. You can't deny that you have been baptised.

Wearing the uniform on the other hand can be put on and taken off (unfortunately this is the model of salvation that we struggle with...how many times do we say, "how do we keep our youth saved between youth councils?")

I hear:

Baptism is not essential to salvation therefore we shouldn't do it.

My question:

Should we only do the bare essentials? Should we not live in the abundant life? Tithing is not essential to salvation. Should we not do that? Wearing a wedding ring is only a sign of my marriage. Does it downgrade the quality of my marriage to wear that sign? Should I take off the ring?

4 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Some of the best questions I have ever heard concerning our position on Baptism.
I don't think the uniform is our baptism. I believe we don't practice water baptism because we believe in the baptism of fire that comes with the Holy Spirit. John even said in Matt. 3:11 that he baptized with water but one greater would come to baptize with Fire. Water baptism was a shadow of what was to come with the baptism of fire- the Holy Ghost-which up to then was just for special individuals not available to everyone.
Water cleans and purifies for the moment but then you need a shower the next day. Fire burns up, purifies completely. The old is gone. I believe that we are to be baptized with fire...no longer water....now we have the Spirit. Water baptism was more like the uniform- it meant you were acceptable to the synagogue. It was a Hebrew practice of acceptance and cleansing. John the Baptist himself foretold of the better baptism to come. That is the one we believe in and should be teaching. Just some thoughts! Blessings.

Phil said...

Paul uses baptism in the sense that it refers to death and resurrection, not just a cleansing of sorts. We die with Christ (dunking under the water) and are raised with Him (coming out of the water). It's that simple. A visual, powerful representation of the spiritual work that Christ works in us through the Holy Spirit.

The baptism of fire is, I think, the regenerative work or "second blessing" as some like to call it.

I think they both have their place in the Christian life. Water as "we" begins it and fire as He completes it!

BrownEyedGirl said...

What about those in the book of Acts who received the Spirit first and yet had not been baptized with water. How could we call it a “second blessing” for them? (Acts 10)
Peter does order them to be baptized afterward but then as he explains his actions in Act 11 :15-17.
These are just my reflections on the subject....I am open to being wrong. I think God gives us a window into Peter trying to figure it all out as well.
For me it is like:
Water to wine-He saved the best for last. I also think it is a bit like…”I didn’t come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it.” Jesus takes everything to the next level.
I agree that water Baptism is a beautiful symbolic practice. I also feel that telling someone that our uniform is our baptism is just wrong and not Biblical

Jason said...

hmmm...Jesus takes everything to the next level...I had thought about that in terms of covenant but never the sign of the covenant...and what is baptism??? Doesn't it mean a commitment of EVERYTHING we are to that for which we were baptised? I think the New Testament does seem to be clear that we should physically baptise but, just how much emphasis should be placed on that act as in relation to the rest of living the Christian life is a question for me...It is part of a much bigger question that keeps occuring what is the New Testament covenant and how can Hebrews so consistently teach that it is like turning "water to wine."