Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Celebration

I am the director at an apartment complex ministry in an immigrant community. After being in the hospital all last week I was able to get back to the apartment this week. I noticed elizabeth and Lucy meeting with some of the kids one on one. When I went over to find out what was going on they kind of shooed me away. After a few minutes all the kids told me they had a secret. They wanted to congratulate me on graduating from Seminary and for getting out of the hospital. They had all signed a card for me.

Now the kids are all between the ages of 7 - 13 (except for Franky age 4 who came with his brother yesterday). So they didn't write the most complex things. But what they wrote really lifted my spirits. Just things like, "We missed you" and "We love you" and my favorite, "Your so cool." Seriously laughed out loud as I typed that!

Receiving--its hard sometimes. I think one of the things I have tried my best to learn lately has been how to receive love from others. How do I soak in the words of these kids? My initial reaction would be to laugh it off, push it away, not think about it. But I am learning to listen, to let love do its work in rejuvenating my heart. And what about God? What might he write on a card?

1 comment:

Phil said...

wow. powerful, my friend, very powerful. praying for you and your ministry to those kids.

grace,
Phil