Thursday, October 19, 2006

IVs and RNs

I have been through a pretty discouraging week. Last Friday I noticed what I thought might be a spider bite on my leg. After going to the emergency room I was admitted to the hospital. I thought at the most I might be there overnight and then be back on my feet the next day.

Well, I finally got out today at lunch. I struggled daily to keep my spirits up. The hardest day was yesterday. I thought I was going home at lunch and the doctor didn't even show up to talk to me until after lunch. He told me he wanted me to stay another day so he could get some more antibiotics in me.

It seems that what I had on my leg wasn't necessarily a spider bite but it was an infection that was resistant to penicillin. So the doctors really wanted to treat it through an IV antibiotic.

To make matters worse my skin is extremely sensitive and so my arms kept reacting to the medicine where the IV was inserted. I have seven different bruises left on my arm where the IVs were inserted. As last night neared I tried to cheer myself by telling myself I only had to let them get through one more puncture. Then it all came to a head when a nurse inserted an IV close to my wrist and it hit a nerve.

It hurt so bad. I was tired. She didn't seem to get it. She kept grabbing it and while moving it she would say "well it shouldn't hurt." I guess these were one of those times where the ought tos differ from the ares. Cause it hurt every time she touched it. I was done. I went to sleep without a needle in my arm. I checked out today without the last two doses of antibiotics.

Every day we meet people just like me...tired, hurt,discouraged and about to give up.

Isa 42:3 -
A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;

So I have to remind myself from this to ask myself about those people I meet and deal with: Are you about to push them over the edge or you helping encourage them towards Christ?

No comments: